1) Heilman and the rest of the Mets bullpen blew a four-run lead (and a superb start by Pedro) to fall to the Pirates 7-5. The Yankees just plain suck. The post last night (still anon, but my guess is it was B-crat) covered some of the Olympic news. One thing I’d like to add is that the Men’s gymnastics team, devastated by injuries and expected to place outside the medals, got Bronze.
2) Russian President Dmitri Medvedev says he has ordered a halt to the country’s military operations in Georgia. Fighting continues.
3) Former Clinton Communications Director Howard Wolfson, apparently still riding the Wambulance, recently declared that had the Edwards affair been revealed prior to the Iowa caucus, “I believe we would have won Iowa, and Clinton today would therefore have been the nominee.” No one cares Howie. Stop dwelling.
4) Oddly, all of the cities in Georgia have disappeared on Google Maps. Let me know if you have any insight into the matter. I don’t even know if they’ve disapeared so much as were never there. My guess is that because of the military action, Google didn’t want to be used for strategic planning (though I doubt Russia, at least, used the Googles to plan its military campaigns).
5) Bob Herbert joins the mystified chorus of people (myself included) crying out against the ridiculous debate over offshore drilling.
6) And finally, much to the relief of the b-crat, Running can slow the aging process. Unfortunately for both the trader and legal eagle, platooning at catcher has found to have no such benefit.